Approximately 6,400 Anne Arundel public school students will be redistricted at some point in the educational process, but seniors can remain put for the 2024-2025 school year.
On November 15, the Anne Arundel County Board of Education, voting 5-3, approved a two-phase school redistricting plan for the county public school system. The plan will impact about 6,400 students and 48 schools. High school seniors can remain at their current school for the 2024-2025 school year.
The school board’s website states:
On July 12, 2023, Superintendent of Schools Dr. Mark Bedell presented a recommendation for the first phase of the school system’s comprehensive redistricting process that would redraw school boundaries at 48 schools, establish boundaries at two new schools, and move all schools in the county’s six northernmost clusters under 100 percent capacity.
The recommendation centers on creating boundaries for Old Mill West High School and West County Elementary School while balancing enrollments across schools in the Chesapeake, Glen Burnie, Meade, North County, Northeast, and Old Mill clusters. It comes after work by consultant WXY and Anne Arundel County Public Schools to examine enrollment patterns across the 58 schools in the clusters that has been undertaken since early this year.
The two-phase plan is broken divided into the county’s northern and southern regions.
Phase 1 timeline
The Phase 1 plan will go into effect next fall, with redistricting beginning in the southern part of Anne Arundel County in February 2025.
- Wednesday, July 26, 2023: Board of Education workshop on Dr. Bedell’s recommendation in the Board Room of the Parham Building, located at 2644 Riva Road in Annapolis. The workshop will be streamed live at www.aacps.org/youtube. It will be open to the public, but no public comment will be taken.
- August 23, 2023: Board of Education to decide and vote on what proposal or proposals to take to public hearing. The Board can opt to utilize any or all of the plans presented to date, create one or more of its own, or both.
- September-October 2023: School system staff will conduct public briefings and the Board will conduct public hearings on the proposals moved forward by the Board at its August 23, 2023, meeting.
- November 15, 2023: Board adopts a Phase 1 redistricting plan.
- August 2024: Board-adopted Phase 1 redistricting plan goes into effect.
- February 2025: Phase 2 redistricting process – focusing on Annapolis, Arundel, Broadneck, Crofton, Severna Park, South River, and Southern clusters – begins.
At the MACo Winter Conference general session, “Education Reform: The Blueprint for the Blueprint,” county and state leaders in education will examine Blueprint implementation, challenges that remain, and where Maryland is landing as it tries to reach the landmark law’s goals for public education. Speakers include representatives of key partnerships, county officials working closely “on the ground” to implement the education reform law, and other leaders.
Learn more about MACo’s Winter Conference:
- Attendee Registration Pricing
- Attendee Online Registration
- Attendee Brochure (with full schedule)
- Exhibitor Details & Waitlist
- Sponsorship Opportunities
- Hotel Details (SOLD OUT – waitlist info)
- Winter Conference Photos
- Conduit Street Blog Coverage
- #MACoCon on Twitter
- Questions? Contact Virginia White