Anne Arundel Acts to Protect Residents Amid COVID-19 Surge

County Executive Steuart Pittman today announced new actions intended to protecting residents and reducing community spread of COVID-19.

Under the new executive order, county restaurants and other food service venues will be restricted to takeout service or curbside pickup only, much like the restrictions during the initial surge of COVID-19. Pittman explained that establishments that received a grant as part of the $10 million Restaurant and Food Service Grant Program will receive an additional payment of up to $7,000 by the end of the year. Annual restaurant fees that would be due in February will be waived and $1 million has been committed to support Feed Anne Arundel, a partnership of local restaurants, the Anne Arundel County Partnership for Children, Youth & Families, Anne Arundel Connecting Together, and the Cal Ripken, Sr. Foundation.

From the press release:

“COVID-19 has dramatically impacted local restaurants and Feed Anne Arundel is working hard to keep restaurants open, employees working, and people fed,” said Monica Alvarado, founder of Feed Anne Arundel. “This $1 million commitment from County Executive Pittman will help our restaurants, caterers, and Bed & Breakfasts continue to serve the community, while also keeping the entire supply chain – employees, vendors, farmers, watermen, delivery drivers, warehouse staff – working, too.”

“I’d like to thank all of our partners who are making these assistance programs work, including Arundel Community Development Corporation and Anne Arundel Economic Development Corporation,” said County Executive Pittman.

In addition to the restaurant restrictions, retail stores, indoor gyms and fitness centers, personal services establishments (ex: nail salons), and casinos will have a reduced maximum capacity of 25 percent. Religious Facilities will have maximum capacity reduced to 33 percent, however outdoor services for Christmas, Hanukkah or other recognized religious holidays are permitted with a maximum of 250 persons, provided they follow social distancing and other safety protocols.

Indoor theaters, performance venues, bingo, bowling alleys, pool halls, roller rinks, and indoor ice rinks will be closed. Anne Arundel previously suspended organized athletics on county fields and facilities on November 20, and today’s announcement suspends all organized sports play or practice, which includes private schools, and school or church gyms.

The newly announced restrictions will take effect beginning Wednesday, December 16 and last for four weeks, until January 13, 2021.

See full press release.

Close Menu
%d bloggers like this: