Counties received updates on a wide array of key policy issues at the MACo 2019 December Winter Conference during the “A Chat with the Smart Growth Subcabinet” panel on December 4.
The Smart Growth Subcabinet oversees and advises on Maryland’s growth policies and laws. During the panel, its members provided updates on land use, environmental, housing, economic development, and transportation issues chosen by county elected officials and staff.
Issues covered by the Subcabinet included:
- Program Open Space (POS) funding
- Solar energy incentives for rooftop and desired locations
- Solar siting on agricultural land and advancing energy generation from animal waste
- Municipal Separate Storm Sewer (MS4) permits
- Opioid addiction treatment and prevention
- A Better Maryland state development plan
- Connected and Autonomous Vehicles (CAV)
- County economic development assistance
- Small and minority business development
- Affordable housing
- Local workforce development
- Climate resiliency assistance
- Maryland Business Express
Panelists also took audience questions near the end of the panel.
Maryland Special Secretary of Smart Growth Wendi Peters moderated the panel.