Most of us are familiar with the terms, 3G, 4G, 4G LTE, and how each iteration promised to improve our connectivity. Crown Castle, the nation’s largest provider of communications infrastructure, details why 5G will be nothing short of a “wireless revolution.”
From Crown Castle’s website:
5G is the next generation of wireless connectivity. Through a combination of technologies—including millimeter waves, small cells, and fiber—5G is capable of delivering data rates as high as 1 gigabit per second. That’s 20x faster than current networks and comparable to the speeds you get from a wired connection like cable or fiber optic internet service. That’s a big deal. To see why, let’s dive in.
A safer, healthier community.
Faster, improved communications will bring new efficiencies to diagnosing and treating illnesses and will make responding to emergencies more effective.
- Wearable devices will allow better, more accurate health monitoring—alerting people and their healthcare professionals about potential concerns in real time.
- Advanced robotics and real-time video and data transmissions will allow doctors to diagnose and perform procedures from thousands of miles away.
- Emergency responders may soon have access to more advanced augmented reality (AR) technology that will overlay critical information on top of the live scene as they work.
- Remote-controlled emergency response tools can arrive before ambulances and relay critical information to responders en route.
More efficient, faster-moving cities.
Bringing wireless sensors and transmitters to our traffic infrastructure promises to make roads safer, ease congestion, and reduce pollution.
- Connected roads can process traffic information, weather conditions, pedestrian activity, accident information, and then respond accordingly to keep roads moving safely.
- Emergency vehicles can automatically be given priority access, enabling quicker response time to emergencies.
- Connected cars will benefit from 5G’s fast, dependable, low-latency networks to operate at scale—reducing accidents, pollution, and saving thousands of lives a year.
- Connected buses, trains and other public transportation will be more reliable and provide up-to-date, real-time information to passengers.
New opportunities in business and commerce.
We don’t yet know all the new innovations 5G will bring. That’s part of what makes it so exciting. But it’s already clear that it will launch new industries and fundamentally change how many existing businesses operate:
- AR (augmented reality) and VR (virtual reality) technologies in classrooms, libraries, and museums will transform the way we learn—and explore the world.
- By combining the digital world with the real world in front of you, new technologies will merge online and in-store experiences. Many experts predict that 5G will pave the way for new developments in AR and VR technologies that could spur entire new industries.
- Connected machinery is making industries like manufacturing, construction, and mining safer and more efficient. Remote controlled machinery allows for safer responses to emergency situations such as landslides, earthquakes, flooding, and fires.
For more information on 5G and all the benefits it can bring, visit Crown Castle’s website.
Thank you to Crown Castle for sponsoring our Governor’s Cabinet Reception!
Learn more about MACo’s Summer Conference:
- Conference Program – New!
- Attendee Registration Brochure
- Attendee Online Registration
- Tech Expo Brochure
- Tech Expo Exhibitor Registration
- Sponsorship Brochure
- Golf Tournament Registration
- Discounted Hotel Room Rates
- Conduit Street Blog Coverage
- #MACoCon on Twitter