MACo is currently hiring for a Communications Coordinator.
The Maryland Association of Counties (MACo) is the voice of Maryland’s 23 counties and Baltimore City, articulating the membership’s needs and interests to the Maryland General Assembly.
MACo provides a broad range of educational, partnership-building, and cost-saving services to all 24 Maryland jurisdictions. Communication efforts play an integral role in fulfilling MACo’s mission.
The Communications Coordinator is responsible for external and internal communications that support the strategic direction of MACo. Responsibilities include: working closely with the MACo advocacy team to understand policy positions and objectives; developing and implementing media and member outreach strategies; managing the Association’s social media accounts; creating written and online informational materials and press releases; managing MACo’s website and blog; building and maintaining relationships with the media and other partners; participating in exhibiting and networking opportunities to further MACo’s messaging and branding; conference preparation, promotion, and support; managing sponsorship and corporate partner relationships; and working with county public information officers and county communications professionals.
Full listing of responsibilities is available at www.mdcounties.org/2019CommsCoordinator
- Understanding of marketing, public relations, and relationship-building strategies
- Strong grasp of social media platforms, trends, and analyzing practices
- Excellent writing and editing skills for a variety of collateral documents
- Graphic design and publication design capabilities
- Familiarity with strategic media relations
- Ability to prioritize workflow and multi-task effectively
- Confidence in taking initiative and working independently
- Sound project management skills
- Ability to THRIVE in a fast-paced environment
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Refined communication, public speaking, and interpersonal skills; must be able to interact with elected officials, coworkers, supervisors, general public, etc. sufficiently to exchange or convey information and receive work direction
- Team player with an “all hands on deck” mentality
- Intuitive understanding of computer software systems and online applications – experience with Microsoft Office Suite and Adobe Creative Suite required; familiarity with website management systems, Word Press, Constant Contact (or other email marketing systems) a plus
Bachelor’s Degree in journalism, communications, public relations, marketing, or a related field, and at least 3 years of experience in communications in a public or non-profit organization; or, an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job such as those listed above.
Applicants familiar with Maryland General Assembly legislative processes, public policy, or Maryland county governments will be given special consideration.
How to Apply:
Send ALL of the following materials to firstname.lastname@example.org by 4:30 pm on May 10, 2019 – include “Communications Coordinator – NAME” in the subject line:
- Cover Letter detailing present salary, desired salary with justification, and the reasons the applicant feels he/she is qualified for the Communications Coordinator position;
- Resume, which must contain educational background, work experience, and computer software familiarity;
- Persuasive writing sample; and
- Three references – references will not be contacted without prior approval from the applicant.
Application Deadline: May 10, 2019