The Maryland Clean Energy Jobs Initiative argues through a blog post that its goal of generating 50 percent of energy from renewable sources by 2030 is actually conservative: Maryland could realistically generate 80 percent of its total energy from renewables in 2030, and all of its energy from renewable sources by 2050.
Back in 2004 Maryland passed a law which was groundbreaking at the time, requiring 7.5% renewable electricity by 2019. While climate activists cheered in 2004, everyone knew the work was just getting started. Since then climate activists succeeded in revising the law over and over and over, increasing the percentage a little each time. Now our state is legally required to have 25% renewable electricity by 2020.
Back in 2004, 25% by 2020 never would have passed. The pathway to 25% was to first pass 7.5%. Similarly, the best way to 100% is to first pass 50%.
Maryland’s energy experts will focus on our state’s clean energy jobs at the 2017 MACo Summer Conference Session, “The Clean Energy Economy – Generating Jobs, Producing Power.”
- Michael Richard, Commissioner, Public Service Commission
- Kelly Schulz, Secretary, Department of Labor, Licensing and Regulation
- Mary Beth Tung, Director, Maryland Energy Administration
- Katherine Magruder, Executive Director, Maryland Clean Energy Center
- David Murray, Executive Director, SEIA Maryland
Moderator: The Honorable Dereck Davis, Maryland House of Delegates
Date/Time: Thursday, August 17, 2017; 3:30 pm – 4:30 pm
MACo’s Summer Conference is August 16-19, 2017 at the Roland Powell Convention Center in Ocean City Maryland. Read more about this session and others in our registration brochure.
Learn more about MACo’s Summer Conference:
- Attendee Registration Brochure (with full schedule & session descriptions)
- Attendee Online Registration
- Exhibitor Brochure
- Exhibitor Online Registration
- SPLASH DASH 5K (your county could win $5000 for charity)
- Tech Expo Brochure
- Tech Expo Exhibitor Registration
- Sponsorship Brochure
- Golf Tournament Registration
- Discounted Hotel Room Rates
- Conduit Street Blog Coverage
- #MACoCon on Twitter
- Questions? email@example.com