The Carroll County School Board unanimously approved bonuses for school bus drivers and assistants at a board meeting on November 10.
The decision and resulting financial incentives come as Carroll County and the rest of the State continue to experience challenges in hiring and retention of school bus drivers. In fact, earlier the same day as the County School Board meeting, the House held a joint hearing on the issue of school bus driver shortages.
The bonuses — $1,000 for each driver and $500 for each assistant — came at the recommendation of Carroll County Schools Superintendent Dr. Steven A. Lockard to recognizer drivers and assistants’ “exceptional service” throughout the pandemic. The agenda item and request reads:
The Superintendent recommends approval of a recognition bonus for all active Carroll County bus contractors’ drivers and assistants. The bonus amount would be $1,000 for each driver and $500 for each assistant.
Carroll County bus contractors’ drivers and assistants provided exceptional service during school reopening in the initial pandemic year, summer learning recovery, and continues to provide service this school year for the standard day and the extended learning opportunity. Unlike other jurisdictions, which have experienced employee work actions, CCPS has not had that experience. Many jurisdictions are undertaking bonuses and other compensation changes this year.
The “work actions,” mentioned in the agenda item include strikes and “sick offs” in other counties around the state, including Howard, Anne Arundel, Charles, and Calvert.
Whether or not the State will legislatively take up the ongoing school bus driver shortages is to be seen. Stay tuned to Conduit Street for future coverage on the issue.
- Access meeting materials and the agenda.
- Read the board agenda item requesting the bonuses for drivers and assistants.
Prior Conduit Street coverage on the school bus driver shortage:
- Legislative Committees are Briefed on School Bus Driver Shortages
- Baltimore Co. Announces Raises, Hiring Incentives for School Bus Drivers
- Anne Arundel Announces New Bonuses for School Bus Drivers
- Conduit Street Podcast: New School Year, New Problem: School Bus Driver Shortage
- Hogan Announces Plan to Tackle School Bus Driver Shortage