While Hogan’s proposal to widen the Capital Beltway and Interstate 270 was meant to benefit Montgomery County residents, top officials are still not convinced. Both proposed plans include widening the beltway at some point along the I-270 spur, but the consensus is out on exactly where. Two years ago, Hogan backed a partnership where a private sector firm would build and maintain four new lanes and the existing lanes on I-495 and I-270 in exchange for the right to impose tolls on the new lanes for at least 50 years.
From Maryland Matter’s coverage:
Montgomery County leaders — including County Executive Marc B. Elrich (D) and his top transportation official, Al Roshdieh — continue to press for a more traditional and less expensive approach.
They propose widening the Beltway between the American Legion Bridge and the I-270 spur and I-270 between the spur and Interstate 370, using existing right of way.
But they balk at adding four lanes to the section of the Beltway that runs from the 270 spur to Interstate 95 in Prince George’s County out of concern that there isn’t enough room.
They oppose the taking of homes, businesses and parkland to create the space needed for four additional lanes through Kensington and Silver Spring.
With transportation projects in Maryland constantly evolving, it’s important to stay up to date on what solutions are out there and what the future could hold. Join us for a session, Contemplating Our Congestion Crisis, at #MACoCon this December.
Here are more details:
- Title: Contemplating Our Congestion Crisis
- Description: Everyone can agree that there is an issue with traffic congestion in Maryland. With new plans and projects being revealed every year, what transportation alternatives should be considered? Join this panel for a discussion on what the future holds. Panelists will discuss transit options and solutions such as telework, bikes, complete streets, and mass transit.
- Date/Time: Wednesday, December 4, 2019; 3:15 pm – 4:15 pm
Learn more about MACo’s Winter Conference:
- Registration Brochure
- Online Attendee Registration
- Hotel Rates
- Exhibitor Brochure
- Online Exhibitor Registration
- Sponsorship Brochure
- See what it’s like!