This week marks the Nation’s 67th annual National Transportation Week. The occasion provides an opportunity to raise awareness about public transportation and its benefits by encouraging people to ride public transportation.
According to a press release:
Ensuring transportation systems are stable and sound for future generations is vital. In the spirit of tomorroworiented transportation, we celebrate the achievements of transportation members for over 55 years; and St. Mary’s County will recognize this important week in meaningful ways.
Special events held throughout the week include:
- STS passenger appreciation items distributed to transit bus riders May 13th -14th
- Veterans Ride-All-Day for a Dollar May 15th-16th
- Driver of the Year recognition May 16thA
- All passengers Ride-All-Day for a dollar May 16-17
- STS Bus Driver / Mechanic Crew Appreciation Day May 17th.
- “Stuff the Bus” Event to help replenish local food banks with non-perishable foods on May 20th with drop-off locations at various local shopping centers
- The following County Office Buildings will also have specially marked boxes available between May 9th and 18th:
- Chesapeake Building – CSMC / County Administrator-front office
- Potomac Building – Office of Human Services
- Patuxent Building – LUGM & Recreation & Parks
- Office of the Sheriff – Garvey Senior Center
- Public Works & TransportationArnold Building
- Recreation & Parks- Maintenance Annex on St. Andrews Church Road
- County Highways Building – DPW&T compound in California, MD
- STS / Transportation / Vehicle Maintenance Facility
Future events in support of the transportation system include the 14th annual “National Dump the
Pump Day” on June 20th. (STS routes will also be Ride-All-Day-For-A-Dollar). In addition, Summer Youth Cruiser Passes will provide County residents with unlimited rides between June 1st and August 31st.
Click here for more information.