The Interagency Commission on School Construction, created by law this year, will have enhanced powers with regard to the State’s capital funding for K-12 school building projects.
The 21st Century School Facilities Act of 2018 contained many provisions relating to specific elements of the State’s school construction program, and dealt with topics including energy efficiency, alternative financing, and prevailing wage laws.
It also contained language that re-ordered the State’s own structure for distributing its $300+ million annual appropriation for local K-12 construction projects. This controversial element of the legislation, which became law through a legislative override of the Governor’s veto, created a new body call the Interagency Commission on School Construction.
The Commission includes several appointees from the General Assembly and the Governor’s Office, and, much like its predecessor, the Interagency Committee on School Construction, it includes members of the Governor’s Administration including representatives of the Departments of Planning and General Services.
The Commission will have enhanced responsibility for school construction funding, as compared with the Committee that preceded it. The Interagency Commission is an independent commission that functions within the Department of Education. The Commission’s purpose is to develop and approves policies, procedures, and regulations on state school construction allocations to local jurisdictions in an independent and merit-based manner. For more information, see the legislation that created the Commission.
Here is the list of members of the Commission and upcoming meetings dates, according to the Public School Construction Program’s website,
Members – Interagency Commission on School Construction
- Karen Salmon, Superintendent of Schools, Chairperson
- Robert S. McCord, Acting Secretary of Department of Planning; Member
- Ellington Churchill, Secretary of Department of General Services; Member
- Barbara Hoffman, Appointee of the President of the Senate
- Gloria Lawlah, Appointee of the President of the Senate
- VACANT, Appointee of the Speaker of the House
- Brian Gibbons, Appointee of the Speaker of the House
- Denise Avara, Appointee of the Governor
- Michael Lombardo, Appointee of the Governor
The chair of the Commission will be selected jointly by the Governor, President of the Senate, and Speaker of the House of Delegates.
Meeting Information – Interagency Commission on School Construction
All IAC meetings will be held at the Maryland State Department of Education Headquarters, 200 W. Baltimore Street, Baltimore, MD 21201.
This additional information on upcoming meeting dates is provided by the Public School Construction Program:
- Aug. 30, 2018, 9 am – noon, 7th Floor – State Board Room (Livestream)
- Sep 12, 2018, 9 am – noon, Room TBD
- Nov 15, 2018, 9 am – noon, Room TBD
- Dec 11, 2018, Time TBD, Room TBD