Breweries, wineries and distilleries can bring jobs and tax dollars to your county. But what is the best way to attract and retain them?
According to Visit Frederick County, winemaking in Maryland dates back to at least 1648.
In 1662, Maryland Governor Charles Calvert planted 200 acres of Maryland’s first European grapes on the east bank of the St. Mary’s River. Now, more than 350 years later, craft breweries, wineries and distilleries are popping up all over the state. Radio stations offer weekly features on Maryland’s breweries, insurance agencies offer special programs designed specifically for craft manufacturers and an industry has emerged of brewery consultants. And Maryland’s counties are benefitting.
How can your county ensure that it encourages these producers to come and stay? Attend the MACo Summer Conference session, “I’ll Drink To That: Crafting Jobs with Breweries, Distilleries and Wineries” to find out.
I’ll Drink To That: Crafting Jobs with Breweries, Distilleries and Wineries
Counties are cultivating new jobs and economic benefits from craft breweries, distilleries and wineries throughout the state. These unique manufacturers flourish in business-friendly environments with local codes and regulations which strike the right balance between promoting industry and maintaining community character and residents’ quality of life. During this session, participants will learn how to encourage growth in this booming industry and all the benefits it has to offer.
- Kevin Atticks, Founder, Grow and Fortify
- Shelby Watson-Hampton, Director, Southern Maryland Agricultural Development Commission
- Director, Calvert County Economic Development (to be announced)
- Hank Abromson, Counsel, Miles & Stockbridge
Moderator: The Honorable Addie Eckardt, Maryland Senate
Date/Time: Thursday, August 17, 2017; 3:30 pm – 4:30 pm
MACo’s Summer Conference is August 16-19, 2017 at the Roland Powell Convention Center in Ocean City Maryland. This year’s theme is “You’re Hired!”.
Learn more about MACo’s Summer Conference:
- Attendee Registration Brochure (with full schedule & session descriptions)
- Attendee Online Registration
- Exhibitor Brochure
- Exhibitor Online Registration
- SPLASH DASH 5K (your county could win $5000 for charity)
- Tech Expo Brochure
- Tech Expo Exhibitor Registration
- Sponsorship Brochure
- Golf Tournament Registration
- Discounted Hotel Room Rates
- Conduit Street Blog Coverage
- #MACoCon on Twitter
- Questions? firstname.lastname@example.org