The field of candidates seeking a vacant seat on the Washington County Board of Education includes several names that previously have appeared on ballots for local office.
The Herald-Mail reports,
The Washington County School Board Nominating Commission met for the second time Monday afternoon, opening the eight applications received by Friday’s deadline.
Of the eight received, seven candidates will be considered by the commission moving forward because one application wasn’t received before the deadline at the required location, according to a statement released after Monday’s meeting.
The seven candidates, in alphabetical order, are as follows:
- Denise D. Fry, a former head of the Washington County Teachers Association
- Edwin M. Hayes, a former school board member
- Alfred E. Martin, a former school board candidate
- Linda Murray, a former school board candidate
- Peter Perini, a former school board candidate
- Carlos Reyes, a former candidate for Hagerstown City Council
- David R. Shuster, director of operations and compliance at Horizon-Goodwill Industries
The successful appointee will fulfill the term of former board member Karen Harshman, who was removed from office April 25.
Her term was set to expire in late 2018.
Read the full article for more information.