What comes to mind when you think about economic development? Groundbreakings or ribbon cuttings? A new business courted to town? That’s just scratching the surface! From small business incubators to placemaking there are lots of tools in the economic development box. Attend the MACo Summer Conference session “Beyond the Ribbon-Cutting – The Power of Placemaking” to learn more about innovative methods of economic development being used in counties across the state. This session will be held from 3:30 pm – 4:30 pm on Thursday, August 13, 2015 at the Roland Powell Convention Center in Ocean City, Maryland. More information about the session is below:
Beyond the Ribbon-Cutting – The Power of Placemaking
Description: Economic Development is usually noticed when there is a groundbreaking or ribbon cutting – but there is more to it. This panel, comprised of members of the Maryland Economic Development Association (MEDA), will examine some of the other ways economic development can create opportunities. From creative use of local assets and specialized small business incubation programs to new trends in technology commercialization and a practice referred to as “placemaking,” there are many forms of economic development. Learn from this panel of experts how your community can adopt and implement some of these innovative tools and programs and the many ways economic development can transform lives.
- Lawrence F. Twele, CEcD, President & CEO, Howard County Economic Development
- Lisa L. Webb, CEcD, Economic Development Director, Cecil County
- Richard G. Griffin, AICP, CEcD, Economic Development Director, City of Frederick
- James R. Coleman, President & CEO, Prince George’s County Economic Development Corporation
Moderator: The Honorable Luke Clippinger, Maryland House of Delegates
Date/Time: Thursday, August 13, 2015; 3:30 pm – 4:30 pm
The MACo Summer Conference will be held August 12-15 at the Roland Powell Convention Center in Ocean City, Maryland. This year’s conference theme is “Energize. Mobilize. Capitalize.”
Learn more about MACo’s Summer Conference:
- Registration Brochure (contact firstname.lastname@example.org for help with registration)
- Online Registration
- Discounted Hotels List
- Exhibitor Brochure
- List of Current Exhibitors
- Sponsorship Brochure
- Golf Tournament Registration Form
- Conduit Street Coverage of MACo’s Summer Conference
- #MACoCon on Twitter
For a schedule of educational sessions at MACo’s Summer Conference, please view the Registration Brochure.
Questions? Contact Meetings & Events Director Virginia White.