As Maryland undergoes a major revision in its public information and open data policies, counties will need to update and revise their own policies in order to remain in compliance with State laws. However, balancing a citizen’s rightful access to data against real costs and practical limitations can pose a difficult challenge for a county. Learn more about the “brave new world” of open data and the Maryland Public Information Act at the 2015 MACo Summer Conference.
Both technology and citizen expectations are changing the way governments store and handle information. In turn, this has created pressure to update and “modernize” the State’s public information laws and policies. The Maryland General Assembly passed legislation during the 2015 Session that substantially changed Maryland’s Public Information Act (PIA), including how counties must respond to data requests and the fees they can charge. Additionally, Maryland is at the forefront of a nationwide trend to open government data and make it available to the public in digital formats. While such changes have many benefits, they also create significant implementation and cost challenges for county governments. Panelists will discuss the recent changes to the PIA and provide an overview of the advantages and drawbacks of Maryland’s open data efforts.
- Rebecca Snyder, Executive Director, Maryland/Delaware/DC Press Association
- Hilary Ruley, Chief Solicitor, General Counsel Division, Baltimore City
- Barney Krucoff, State Geographic Information Officers, Maryland Department of Information Technology
- Victoria Lewis, dataMontgomery Project Manager, Montgomery County
Moderator: The Honorable Bonnie Cullison, Maryland House of Delegates
Date & Time: Thursday, August 13, 2015, 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM
Learn more about MACo’s Summer Conference:
- Registration Brochure (contact firstname.lastname@example.org for help with registration)
- Online Registration
- Discounted Hotels List
- Exhibitor Brochure
- List of Current Exhibitors
- Sponsorship Brochure
- Golf Tournament Registration Form
- Conduit Street Coverage of MACo’s Summer Conference
- #MACoCon on Twitter
For a schedule of educational sessions at MACo’s Summer Conference, please view the Registration Brochure.
Questions? Contact Meetings & Events Director Virginia White.