The Maryland County Officials Diversity Caucus hosted a luncheon at the summer conference introducing their 2014-2015 leadership team and legislative agenda.
The luncheon commenced with a moment of silence honoring the life of Wayne K. Curry. Mr. Curry was the first African American to serve as Prince George’s County Executive. He served two terms as county executive from 1994-2002 and passed away July 2, 2014.
Karmen Walker Brown, Director of Governmental Affairs at Comcast and wife of Lt. Governor Anthony Brown, greeted the Caucus and provided remarks in lieu of her husband who was unable to attend due to a conflict. Mrs. Brown commended the Caucus on their work fostering and providing support for minority elected leaders and responding to issues affecting their constituencies through the Caucus’ legislative initiatives.
The 2014-2015 Diversity Caucus Leadership Team:
- President – Council Member Karen R. Toles (Prince George’s County)
- 1st Vice President – Council Member Nancy Navarro (Montgomery County)
- 2nd Vice President – Council Member Craig Rice (Montgomery County)
- Chair, Event Coordination – Commissioner Debra Davis (Charles County)
- Chair, Legislative Affairs – Council Member Mel Franklin (Prince George’s County)
- Chair, Membership & Mentoring – Commissioner Craig Mathies (Somerset County)
- Immediate Past President – Council Member Dr. Calvin Ball (Howard County)
The Caucus’ legislative initiatives for the upcoming year will focus on economic development and the Minority Business Enterprise program (MBE), environmental justice, and public safety and social justice issues.