Counties are faced with a myriad of potential legal and litigation challenges on a daily basis. But constitutional disputes can pose unique challenges as they deal with core fundamental rights and often evoke high citizen and media interest. Panelists will discuss several common scenarios and recently publicized issues, including prayer at legislative meetings, use of public facilities by controversial groups, and potential county liability for police brutality and discrimination claims against sheriff’s departments. The panelists will provide an overview of each issue and advice on how a county should respond when faced with such a claim.
- Charles Thompson, Jr., Executive Director/General Counsel, International Municipal Lawyers Association
- The Honorable Robin Frazier, Carroll County Commissioner
- John Breads, Jr. Director of Legal Services, Local Government Insurance Trust
- Jason Allison, County Attorney, Cecil County
Moderator: The Honorable Brian Feldman, Maryland Senate
Date & Time: Thursday, August 14, 2014; 3:30 pm – 4:30 pm
Learn more about MACo’s 2014 Summer Conference:
- Registration Brochure
- Online Registration
- Reduced Hotel Rates List
- Sponsorship Brochure
- Exhibitor Brochure
- Golf Tournament Registration Form
- Conduit Street Coverage of MACo’s Summer Conference
Contact Meetings & Events Director Virginia White with questions about Summer Conference.