The Calvert County Board of County Commissioners adopted the 2018 International Building Code (IBC) and the 2018 International Residential Code (IRC) as the Calvert County Building Code, effective July 1, 2022.
Calvert County Building Code changes include, but are not limited to:
- Requirements for roof access and pathways for firefighters for houses with rooftop solar panels
- Guard handrail requirements now only apply to the specific portion of a walking surface that exceeds 30 inches above grade
- Smoke alarm physical interconnection is not required where listed wireless alarms, and all alarms sound upon activation of one alarm
- Increases required R-values of insulation in walls and ceilings
- Not less than 90 percent of the installed lighting fixtures shall contain high-efficacy lamps
- Fuel gas lighting systems shall not have continuously burning pilot lights
- A dwelling unit shall be tested and verified as having an air leakage rate not exceeding three air changes per hour to demonstrate the building’s air tightness
Additionally, the Building Code establishes requirements for making an application and for permit issuance, time limits of applications and permits, and provisions for serving notices of violations and violation penalties.