Montgomery County’s Asian American Health Initiative (AAHI) recently awarded $1 million in COVID-19 relief grants to local community organizations that serve the Asian American and Pacific Islander community.
The grants will be used for activities related to COVID-19 education and outreach related vaccinations and testing. Funding for the AAHI COVID-19 Relief Fund was allocated after the Montgomery County Council approved a series resolutions providing funding for AAHI to develop a linguistically and culturally appropriate response to COVID-19. Funding came from the County’s general fund, the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS), and the American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA).
A county press release stated:
Recognizing the need for tailored services and outreach, AAHI partnered with the Primary Care Coalition of Montgomery County (PCC), to develop and administer the COVID-19 Relief Fund for Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders. Through a competitive grants process, AAHI- and PCC-requested proposals from eligible organizations to provide COVID-19 related services, which included, but were not limited to, culturally appropriate outreach activities, testing and vaccinations, outreach and education, mental health, anti-harassment/anti-hate, and social service support. A total of 42 organizations submitted applications and 11 organizations received funding.
The organizations who received funding are:
- American Diversity Group (ADG) (awarded $85,604)
- Asian Pacific Islander Domestic Violence Resource Project (DVRP) (awarded $79,971)
- Chinese American Community Health Services (CACHS) (awarded $37,800)
- Chinese Culture and Community Service Center, (CCACC) (awarded $156,797)
- EveryMind (awarded $71,330)
- Indonesian Muslim Association in America (IMAAM) (awarded $82,665)
- Korean Community Service Center of Greater Washington (KCSC) (awarded $125,017)
- Maryland Vietnamese Mutual Association (MVMA) (awarded $123,727)
- Muslim Community Center (MCC) Medical Clinic (awarded $66,550)
- Philippine Nurses Association of Metropolitan DC (PNAMDC) (awarded $75,550)
- Vietnamese American Services (VAS) (awarded $94,989)