The Talbot County Free Library and Talbot Family Network have partnered to launch an Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Book Club starting this month.
The new book club will feature enriching literature that highlights Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion, followed by a discussion. The Book Club will take place on the 2nd Thursday of every month from January to May at 6:00 p.m. at the Talbot County Free Library Main Branch Meeting Room.
The inaugural discussion will occur this Thursday, January 13, featuring House On Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros.
The Star Democrat reported on the new program:
“The Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Book Club was something that the library as well as Talbot Family Network wanted to do for almost a year now,” said Talbot County Free Library communications manager Christina Acosta. “This was an opportunity for the community to come together and discuss inclusion and diversity from different viewpoints and different locations. It was important for us to cover the history, present and future.”
Talbot Family Network Executive Director Nancy Andrew said this book club will highlight the challenging topics to work through with “constructive conversation.”
Book Club Schedule
- January 13, 2022: House On Mango Street, By Sandra Cisneros
- February 10, 2022: We Are Not Like Them, By Christine Pride
- March 10, 2022: When They Call You A Terrorist: A Black Lives Matter Memoir, By Patrisse Kahn-Cullors and Asha Bandele;
- April 14, 2022: Me and White Supremacy: Combat Racism, Change the World, and Become a Good Ancestor, By Layla F. Saad
- May 12, 2022 A Place for Us, By Fatima Farheen Mirza
According to the Talbot County Free Library System’s website:
Sessions will be in person unless public health concerns require a move to virtual. In person sessions are limited to a max of 25 people and masks will be required. We highly encourage you to register for the first meeting due to space limitations. Community members are welcome to attend any of the sessions and will not be required to register for the whole series.