At today’s Board of Public Works meeting, Governor Larry Hogan announced $600,000 in grant awards to assist six historic preservation projects through the Historic Preservation Capital Grant Program. The program provides support to eligible entities for capital preservation projects across the state.
Nonprofits, local governments, businesses, and individuals are eligible to receive grants for acquisition, restoration, and in some cases, pre-construction work. The Historical Trust received more than 30 applicants for this fiscal year.
“The Historic Preservation Capital Grant Program is a critical tool in promoting economic development focused on local historic resources,” said Governor Hogan. “These sites, structures, and heritage areas across Maryland are cultural treasures that strengthen our communities and preserve our legacies for future generations.”
The following projects will receive grant funding:
- Whitehall (Anne Arundel County) ($100,000)
- Grantee: Brandywine Foundations, Inc. (nonprofit)
Whitehall is an outstanding example of a five-part Georgian country house, constructed in 1764-1765 and enlarged in 1769. Much of the interior woodwork is attributed to William Buckland and the plasterwork is documented as that of John Rawlings. The house was built for Maryland Governor Horatio Sharpe and later owned by the Ridout Family. The grant project will address urgent areas of deterioration at the roof, gutters, and downspouts on the main part of the house.
- F.W. Fraley General Merchandise Store (Frederick County) ($100,000)
- Grantee: Catoctin Furnace Historical Society, Inc. (nonprofit)
The F. W. Fraley General Merchandise Store originally operated as the Catoctin Iron Company store from the early 19th-century until 1903. F. W. Fraley, Sr. was a clerk in the company store and when the furnace shut down in 1903, he moved the structure to the middle of the village in 1906. After moving what is now the rear section of the store, Fraley built the newer section at the front to enlarge the store in 1910. The store continued to operate as a general merchandise store until 1974. The grant project will assist in completing a full exterior rehabilitation of the building.
- Jerusalem Mansion (Harford County) ($100,000)
- Grantee: Friends of Jerusalem Mill, Inc. (nonprofit)
Jerusalem Mansion was built in stages beginning in the mid-1700s and later enlarged by the Lee family, founders of Jerusalem Mill Village. The mill village is one of the oldest, most complete, and least altered mill villages in Maryland. From 1954 through 2018, the mansion was occupied by the Pullen family. Dr. Phyllis Pullen was one of the first female doctors in the area, and one of the last “country doctors;” her medical office in the mansion is still intact today. The grant project will assist in repairing thirty-eight deteriorated wood windows on the main part of the mansion.
- Asbury United Methodist Church (formerly Easton Asbury M.E. Church) (Talbot County) ($100,000)
- Grantee: Historic Easton, Inc. (nonprofit)
Asbury U.M. Church is the oldest African American church structure in Easton and the second oldest African American church structure in Talbot County. The church was dedicated by Frederick Douglass in 1878. Asbury was a temporary high school for Black students in the 1930s and is now a community center for a historically African American enclave known as the Hill. The grant project includes structural stabilization and repairs to the base of the leaning bell tower and steeple.
- Roland Park Water Tower (Baltimore City) ($100,000)
- Grantee: The Roland Park Community Foundation, Inc. (nonprofit)
The Roland Park Water Tower was constructed in 1905 to serve as a potable water supply station for surrounding communities. It was taken out of service in the 1930s. The octagonal masonry Italianate structure was designed by the water company’s architect, William Fizone. Its construction is attributed to John Stack and Sons, a builder responsible for constructing many of Baltimore City’s Victorian Age buildings. The tower was built during the City Beautiful Movement. The grant project will focus on repairing the tower’s extensive gutter and water retention system and making masonry repairs to the base of the tower.
- Whitehaven United Methodist Church (Wicomico County) ($100,000)
- Grantee: Whitehaven Heritage Association, Inc. (nonprofit)
The Whitehaven United Methodist Church was constructed in 1892. This vernacular church is most significant because of its interior woodwork, which is unique among the churches of Wicomico County. The interior heart pine paneling, in a herringbone pattern, was constructed by an anonymous craftsman, whose facility with wood suggests familiarity with boat building techniques. While no longer used for services by a congregation, it retains an influence on the traditions of the Lower Eastern Shore communities. The grant project includes rehabilitation of the roof, steeple, siding, porch, foundation, and other interior work.
According to a press release:
The Historic Preservation Capital Grant Program provides support for physical preservation projects as well as for architectural, engineering, archeology, and consulting services needed in the development of a construction project. Acquisition of properties can also be funded. All assisted properties are required to be either listed on or eligible for listing on the National Register of Historic Places. Organizations may request up to $100,000 per project.
Since its inception in 1978, the Historic Preservation Capital Grant Program has assisted hundreds of properties in every county and Baltimore City. Nonprofits, local jurisdictions, business entities, and individuals are all eligible. Governor Hogan restored funding for this program in 2018; the first time funding was made available in nearly a decade.
Online applications for FY22 Historic Preservation Capital Grant Program funding will be available in early 2022 on MHT’s website at mht.maryland.gov/grants_capital.shtml. Application deadlines and workshop dates will be announced later this year.
For more information about the Historic Preservation Capital Grant Program, please contact Barbara Fisher at email@example.com.