The Governor’s Office for Crime Control and Prevention (GOCCP) has awarded $1 million in grants to 11 counties to help establish or expand pretrial services.
As announced in a GOCCP news release:
The 11 grants announced will establish new pretrial programs in four counties, bringing pretrial services to a total of 15 counties. Seven counties that already provide pretrial services will receive funding to bring their programs in line with a statewide standard that incorporates best practices.
Awards were made to the following entities:
- Anne Arundel County Dept. of Detention Facilities – $94,255.00
- Calvert County Board of County Commissioners – $109,477.00
- Cecil County Sheriff’s Office Law Enforcement Facility – $94,051.00
- Dorchester Community Partnership – $29,250.00
- Howard County Department of Corrections – $165,546.00
- Montgomery County Department of Correction & Rehabilitation – $130,000.00
- Prince George’s County Department of Corrections – $48,712.00
- Somerset County Detention Center – $95,825.00
- St. Mary’s County Detention Center – $57,252.00
- Washington County Detention Center – $125,386.00
- Wicomico County Department of Corrections – $50,245.00
The funding for the Pretrial Services Program Grant Fund was created through House Bill 447 / Senate Bill 1156 which was passed in the 2018 legislative session and signed into law by the Governor. MACo supported creation of the fund as a means of helping improve and expand the establishment of pretrial services in county jails while advancing efforts to address the operational and societal costs of incarceration.
Visit GOCCP to learn more.
Prior coverage from Conduit Street: