County revenues generally come from property and income taxes – but how much should an administrator, elected official or budget officer expect to receive each year? This question has become increasingly difficult as counties still recover from the Great Recession, tax reform leads to uncertainty, and growth trends shift with an aging population and changing income sources. Even the State has modified its revenue projection processes, accounting for increased volatility. What’s a county to do?
Find out how revenue estimating experts at the State and County levels predict the future in an unpredictable environment at the MACo Summer Conference session, “Navigating Murky Waters: Predicting Unpredictable Revenue Streams.”
Title: Navigating Murky Waters: Predicting Unpredictable Revenue Streams
Description: Reliably estimating revenues is hard enough during any time – it’s always a guessing game, albeit an educated one. But now, accurately estimating county revenues spot-on would be like walking on water. Recovery from the Great Recession is slow-moving, income tax revenues are particularly volatile as baby boomers retire and the work force dwindles, and with federal tax reform, no one knows how taxpayers will actually file. What’s a legislator, county official, or budget officer to do? Find out how county finance officers are navigating these uncharted waters in this panel focusing on ways and means.
- John Hammond, Budget Officer, Anne Arundel County
- Andrew Schaufele, Director, Bureau of Revenue Estimates, State Comptroller’s Office
- Jonathan R. Seeman, Director, Budget, Finance & Information Technology, Queen Anne’s County
Moderator: The Honorable Kevin Hornberger, Maryland House of Delegates
Date/Time: Friday, August 17, 2018; 2:15 pm – 3:15 pm
MACo’s 2018 Summer Conference will be held Aug. 15-18 at the Roland Powell Convention Center, in Ocean City, MD.
Learn more about MACo’s Summer Conference:
- Attendee Registration Brochure
- Attendee Online Registration
- Exhibitor Brochure
- Exhibitor Online Registration
- Tech Expo Brochure
- Tech Expo Exhibitor Registration
- Sponsorship Brochure
- Golf Tournament Registration
- Discounted Hotel Room Rates
- Conduit Street Blog Coverage
- #MACoCon on Twitter
- Questions? email@example.com