Failing septic systems can cause hydraulic fractures and water contamination. In order to address this issue on southern Kent Island in Queen Anne’s County, sewer lines are being extended to replace aging septic systems. The $34 million project to connect 1,518 existing homes and eight commercial properties to Queen Anne’s County’s public sewer system. In a session exploring this issue, participants will learn how Queen Anne’s County and the Maryland Departments of Planning and the Environment were able to solve this dangerous issue by connecting properties to a safe and effective public sewer system.
Flushing Your Troubles Down the Drain, the South Kent Island Solution
When septic systems fail, they allow noxious odors and dangerous pathogens to rise to the surface. They can also endanger the Chesapeake Bay by allowing pollutants such as nitrogen to flow into its waters. For many years, community leaders on South Kent Island (SKI) in Queen Anne’s County had serious concerns about public health and the environment due to this very issue. Faced with an alarming septic system failure rate on SKI (70-90%), limited funding, Smart Growth requirements, and anti-growth concerns—among many other concerns and challenges—it was necessary to create a unique solution. Attend this session to find out how Queen Anne’s County and the Maryland Departments of Planning and the Environment were able to solve this dangerous issue to connect 1,518 existing homes and eight commercial properties to a safe and effective public sewer system.
- The Honorable James J. Moran, County Commissioner At Large, Queen Anne’s County
- Todd R. Mohn, Director, Department of Public Works, Queen Anne’s County
- Julie Barown, P.E., Northeast Regional Municipal Systems, Orenco Systems, Inc.
Moderator: The Honorable Shane Robinson, Maryland House of Delegates
Date/Time: Friday, August 18, 2017; 1:00 pm – 2:00 pm
The MACo summer conference is August 16-19, 2017 at the Roland Powell Convention Center in Ocean City Maryland. This year’s theme is “You’re Hired!”.
Learn more about MACo’s Summer Conference:
- Attendee Registration Brochure (with full schedule & session descriptions)
- Attendee Online Registration
- Exhibitor Brochure
- Exhibitor Online Registration
- SPLASH DASH 5K (your county could win $5000 for charity)
- Tech Expo Brochure
- Tech Expo Exhibitor Registration
- Sponsorship Brochure
- Golf Tournament Registration
- Discounted Hotel Room Rates
- Conduit Street Blog Coverage
- #MACoCon on Twitter
- Questions? firstname.lastname@example.org