Homes that have been abandoned can create a range of problems from blight to harmful nuisances for counties and their communities. But fear not! New and improved tools to reduce blight and revitalize communities will be discussed at the 2017 MACo Summer Conference.
NO VACANCY: Revitalizing Vacant and Blighted Properties
Description: Abandoned and vacant properties are often a source of blight, nuisance, and – in severe cases – danger for the communities surrounding them. Fortunately, new tools are on the horizon for county officials to get a handle on these problem properties. This session will begin with an overview of a 2016 summer study conducted by MACo, the Maryland Municipal League (MML), and the Community Development Network of Maryland outlining the specific challenges local governments face related to blighted, vacant, and abandoned properties. Attendees will learn about legislation recently passed by the General Assembly to help counties, as well as how to deploy those resources.
- Odette Ramos, Executive Director, Community Development Network (CDN)
- Cindy Smith, Grants Administrator, Dorchester County
- Daniel S. Ehrenberg, Klein Hornig LLP
- Meredith Mishaga, Director, Foreclosure Outreach, Department of Labor, Licensing and Regulation (DLLR)
Moderator: The Honorable Marvin Holmes, Maryland House of Delegates
Date/Time: Thursday, August 17, 2017; 3:30 pm – 4:30 pm
The MACo summer conference is August 16-19, 2017 at the Roland Powell Convention Center in Ocean City Maryland. This year’s theme is “You’re Hired!”.
Learn more about MACo’s Summer Conference:
- Attendee Registration Brochure (with full schedule & session descriptions)
- Attendee Online Registration
- Exhibitor Brochure
- Exhibitor Online Registration
- SPLASH DASH 5K (your county could win $5000 for charity)
- Tech Expo Brochure
- Tech Expo Exhibitor Registration
- Sponsorship Brochure
- Golf Tournament Registration
- Discounted Hotel Room Rates
- Conduit Street Blog Coverage
- #MACoCon on Twitter
- Questions? firstname.lastname@example.org