MACo’s Winter Conference is only 5 weeks away. Join more than 500 local government officials and decision-makers, legislators, state and federal officials, and commercial representatives for the PREMIERE policy-planning event heading into the 2017 Maryland General Assembly Session.
Wednesday of MACo’s Winter Conference is a big day this year – we’ve added new content and meetings you don’t want to miss! REGISTER TODAY! (early registration rates end on November 9!)
1. COUNTY ELECTED OFFICIALS ROUNDTABLE
County Executives, County Commissioners, and County/Baltimore City Council Members are invited to this roundtable discussion about current policy issues – local road funding, TMDL, the opioid epidemic, and school construction are just a few of the topics “on the table” for this discussion. (Wednesday, December 7; noon – 1:00 pm)
2. ACTIVE SHOOTER DEFENSE TRAINING
Active shooter situations are unpredictable and evolve quickly. In this deep-dive session, a public safety expert will share the best way to prepare for the worst-case scenario with take-away lessons in safety for all attendees. (Wednesday, December 7; 1:15 pm – 2:30 pm)
3. AFFILIATE WORKSHOP SESSIONS
They’re not just for Thursday anymore! We’re offering a block of educational workshops on Wednesday afternoon from 3:00 pm – 4:00 pm. Don’t miss them:
- Breaking Cycles and Building Bonds…From Behind Bars
- BATter Up! Understanding the BAT Septic System Issue
- Fighting Fire with Fiber? Connecting to Next Gen 9-1-1
- Reconomics 101: Local Parks Yield Big Returns
Read the session descriptions in our brochure.
4. ACADEMY FOR EXCELLENCE COURSES
2 Academy for Excellence Core Courses are being offered on Wednesday: Open Meetings (1:15 pm – 2:45 pm) and County Financial Management (3:00 pm – 5:00 pm). Anyone can attend, only Academy Fellows receive Academy credit. Read more about these Academy courses (we’re also offering Ethics on Friday!)
5. NALOXONE CERTIFICATION
Become certified to administer the life-saving opioid overdose treatment Naloxone with this course on December 7 from 4:15 pm – 5:15 pm.
6. CHASING THE DRAGON DOCUMENTARY
We’ll be screening the FBI’s ground-breaking heroin epidemic documentary from 3:00 pm – 4:00 pm. Read more about the documentary here.
7. MEETINGS, MEETINGS, MEETINGS
Look who will be on-site on Wednesday…
- Maryland Association of County Health Officers (MACHO) – MACHO members only
- Public Safety Answering Point (PSAP) Directors – members only
- Maryland Smart Growth Subcabinet – 9:30 am – 10:30 am, all conference participants invited
- Emergency Management Directors – noon – 1:00 pm, all conference participants invited
- Information Technology Directors – noon – 1:00 pm, County IT Directors invited to attend
- Maryland Association of County Parks & Recreation Administrators (MACPRA) – MACPRA members only
- Clean Chesapeake Coalition – 4:30 pm – 5:30 pm, all conference participants invited
8. TOAST TO RIKKI SPECTOR
Our Wednesday night banquet will feature a toast to MACo Past President and Baltimore City Council Member Rikki Spector, who is retiring from elected office after 39 years! Dinner starts at 6:30 pm, toasts are from 7:00 pm – 7:30 pm – don’t miss this inspirational night of celebrating one of Maryland’s great public servants!
By popular demand, we expanded our exhibit hall to over 50 booths. These vendors will present cost-saving products and services for all levels of government and the private sector. Booths are filling up quickly, contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.
Visit with the vendors and sample different flavors of popcorn from 2:30 pm – 3:00 pm on Wednesday, December 7.
Learn more about MACo’s Winter Conference: