The Montgomery County Council unanimously passed local legislation during its meeting yesterday to require homeowners to test their homes for radon and provide the results to buyers prior to selling their homes.
As reported by the Washington Post,
Montgomery is the first locality in the country to establish a radon testing requirement, according to the bill’s sponsor, council member Craig Rice (D-Upcounty). Like many other recent regulatory measures passed by the council, however, there are few provisions for enforcement. The radon bill does not specify penalties for noncompliance.
“We’re just trying to get people to test,” Rice said, likening the new requirement to having carbon monoxide detectors in homes and other common safety measures.
The article also describes the risks associated with radon.
Radon is an invisible radioactive gas produced by the natural breakdown of uranium in rocks and soil. It enters homes through foundation cracks and other openings. According to the Environmental Protection Agency , it is the leading cause of lung cancer among non-smokers and the second-leading cause of lung cancer, after cigarette smoking, for the general population.