On September 13, county and municipal elected and appointed officials and professionals gathered to be celebrated and receive their certificates for completing the Academy for Excellence in Local Governance certificate program.
The Academy for Excellence in Local Governance is a volunteer educational program founded by the Maryland Association of Counties (MACo), the Maryland Municipal League (MML), and sponsored by the Local Government Insurance Trust (LGIT) – the program is administered by the University of Maryland’s School of Public Policy. There are two tracks – County and Municipal. County Participants in the program must earn credit for 8 Core Courses and 6 Elective Courses, offered at MACo, MML, and LGIT conferences and events.
The graduation ceremony took place at the University of Maryland Memorial Chapel at 3:00 pm on September 13. Professor Anthony McCann of the University’s School of Public Policy welcomed the graduates and guests. The Honorable Bruce Wahl, Mayor of Chesapeake Beach and Immediate Past President of MML, gave remarks and thanked the graduates for their hard work and public service. The graduates received their certificates and then enjoyed a reception.
Upon earning their certificates, these individuals joined the ranks of over 700 county and municipal Graduate Fellows. They have developed a very strong foundation of the core concepts of local governance and may continue to develop their understanding and exploration of these topics through the Academy Graduate program.
Congratulations to the following County Graduate Fellows:
- Rebecca Bridgett, County Administrator, St. Mary’s County
- Creade Brodie, Commissioner, Allegany County
- Kimberly Frock, Director, Dept. of Human Resources, Carroll County
- Laura Hurley, Legal Assistant, Wicomico County
- Mary Lehman, Council Member, District 1, Prince George’s County
- Wilbur Levengood, Vice President, Brd. of Commissioners, Caroline County
- Tari Moore, County Executive, Cecil County
- Corey Pack, County Council President, Talbot County
- Ralph Taylor, County Administrator, Somerset County
- William Valentine, President, Board of County Commissioners, Allegany County
- Michael Walther, Analyst, Auditor’s Office, Baltimore County
- Joseph Woods, Council Member, District B, Harford County