Garrett County, Maryland is hosting the International Canoe Federation Slalom World Championships in McHenry Maryland September 17-21, 2014, the Cumberland Times-News reports. The Adventure Sports Center International is the prestigious venue for the event and is the Only Mountaintop re-circulating whitewater course in the World.
As described on the ICF website, Olympic-level athletes from over 35 countries compete for the gold in this historic event. The widely publicized competition is also expected to bring an economic boost to the region.
The ICF World Championships represent much more than a simple competition. It is a gathering of nations from around the globe joining together in sport and camaraderie. This is the 25 year anniversary of the 1989 World Championship held right here in Garrett County Maryland and only the second time in history. . . [it has been held in] the United States.Quick Tidbits:
- Over 600 athletes & team support staff from over 35 countries
- Worldwide Television exposure via National & International Broadcast
- 20,000 spectators over the course of the competition
- Over 21.5 million broadcast viewers in Europe
- $20M in economic impact for the region
For more information and to buy tickets, see the International Canoe Federation.