As reported in the Baltimore Sun, the Maryland Public Policy Institute (MPPI) hosted a debate of education leaders on the Common Core standards. Mary Bubala, Anchor, WJZ-TV Ch. 13-Baltimore moderated the discussion with the following panelists, according to MPPI:
- S. Dallas Dance, Ph.D., Superintendent of Baltimore County Schools
- Nancy S. Grasmick, Ph.D., former Superintendent of Maryland Schools
- Jason Botel, founder of KIPP Baltimore; executive director of MarylandCAN
- Nina Rees, president & CEO, National Alliance for Public Charter Schools.
- Lindsey Burke, Will Skillman Fellow in Education, Heritage Foundation
As described by the Sun, the debate highlighted the difficulty of the common core standards, with some panelists acknowledging problems with implementation and others voicing concern over the effect of the reforms on charter schools. Superintendent Dance noted the “botched implementation,” according to the Sun, while Lindsey Burke and Nina Rees, said they believe the law has stunted the growth of charters in Maryland. For more information about the recent debate, see the full story from the Baltimore Sun.