As reported by the U.S. Department of Education, eleven public and private Maryland schools are on the 2013 National Blue Ribbon List. At a special awards luncheon in Washington, D.C. this week, Secretary Duncan honored 286 schools across the county that are 2013 National Blue Ribbon Schools.
“Excellence in education matters, and we should honor the schools that are leading the way to prepare students for success in college and careers,” he explained. “National Blue Ribbon Schools represent examples of educational excellence, and their work reflects the belief that every child in America deserves a world-class education.”
Maryland’s public schools to receive the blue ribbon award in 2013 include:
- Boonsboro High School, Washington County
- Century High School, Carroll County
- Chadwick Elementary, Baltimore County
- Charlesmont Elementary School, Baltimore County
- Folly Quarter Middle School, Howard County
- Robert Frost Middle School, Montgomery County
In this video, Secretary Duncan describes the program’s standards and more information about the schools honored this year.