CSX is a transportation company that provides a 21,000 miles transportation network, connecting customers to ports, production, and distribution centers throughout 23 states.
Since the founding of the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad over 180 years ago, CSX has had strong ties to the state of Maryland. With major rail yards in Baltimore and Cumberland, CSX operates 560 miles of railroad throughout the state for rail, intermodal, and rail-to-truck transload services. Below are a few highlights of the company’s work in the state:
- Maintains 850 public and private grade crossings in Maryland
- Employed approximately 1,600 people in Maryland in 2009
- Invested $31 million in the Maryland network in 2009
- Partnered with state and local economic development agencies to expand rail-served facilities and create more jobs in Maryland through a $291 million business investment
- MARC commuter trains operate on CSXT tracks
In addition to the company’s accomplishments in the transportation industry, CSX takes great pride in their environmental stewardship. Over the course of the past 30 years, CSX has invested over $1 billion in the creation of more fuel-efficient freight trains and continue to look for ways to improve their operations. To learn more about the environmental advantages of railway systems, visit CSX’s Environmental Stewardship page by clicking here.
For additional information please contact, Sharon Daboin at firstname.lastname@example.org