Effective July 1, 2023, the Maryland Department of Health’s Medical Assistance Program, Healthy Babies – Pregnancy and Postpartum Coverage, provides comprehensive health insurance for pregnant Marylanders regardless of citizenship status.
Non-citizen pregnant Marylanders will be eligible for the same benefits package available to other pregnant individuals, including physical and behavioral health services, as well as dental and prescription drug coverage without copays. Participants will be enrolled in a managed care organization during the prenatal and postpartum periods. Carved-out benefits will be covered on a fee-for-service basis.
An individual may qualify for this newly expanded coverage if they meet the following criteria:
- A non-citizen who does not qualify for Medicaid solely due to immigration status
- Maryland resident
- Currently pregnant and applying prior to the final day of pregnancy
- Any individual who applies on the pregnancy end date (i.e., at labor and delivery) will NOT be eligible for this benefit.
- Income up to 250% of the federal poverty level
It is estimated that approximately 6,000 non-citizen pregnant Marylanders will be eligible for this benefit in the first year. The benefit will provide coverage during the pregnancy and four months of comprehensive coverage during the postpartum period.
Starting July 1, 2023, you can apply:
- Online at MarylandHealthConnection.gov
- By using the app: Apple or Android
- By calling 1-855-642-8572, deaf and hard of hearing use Relay.
- In person at a local health department
- In person at a local Health and Human Services Office
For more details, visit the program page: Healthy Babies – Pregnancy and Postpartum Coverage