Are you a savvy communications professional looking to join an expert, innovative, and fun team? Do you love the idea of taking the keys to the very successful MACo blog, social media, and podcast and revving up the engine? Then we’re looking for you! Apply today.
MACo is seeking a Communications Coordinator to manage our online and in-person communications channels. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled or March 20, 2023 – whichever comes first! (so don’t wait – submit your materials today!)
A ‘tech-savvy’ communications expert, the Communications Coordinator is responsible for planning, building, managing, and analyzing MACo’s messaging and online presence. With the primary goal of driving traffic to MACo’s various online channels, they will proactively manage and optimize the Association’s digital outlets to ensure best results.
Responsible for coordinating and executing MACo’s communications strategy, this individual will create and run informational campaigns for a wide variety of MACo services, ranging from events promotion to legislative advocacy. This individual will thrive on turning input from policy or program experts into creative and exciting output with relevant messaging and targeted outreach for a wide variety of audiences to include local and state elected officials, government employees, legislators, commercial entities, and others interested in MACo’s work.
The Communications Coordinator works closely with county communications professionals, media, and external partners to identify opportunities for new outreach and information-sharing. This is a mid-level position that welcomes creativity and offers opportunities for growth and professional development.
***This is a remote position, but candidates must be within 90 miles of Annapolis, MD, as some on-site participation in meetings and events is occasionally required***
- Blog and Website – Manages Conduit Street blog (https://conduitstreet.mdcounties.org/), coordinating blog authors’ range of content; regularly contributes to blog as an author on matters of interest to county government. Updates content on MACo’s website (http://www.mdcounties.org), ensuring accuracy and usability.
- Social Media – Moderates and monitors social media, creating and scheduling daily updates and announcements on Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn using Hootsuite or other planning tools for recurring or scheduled messaging; manages paid media campaigns.
- Newsletter/E-blasts – Manages and compiles MACo’s weekly e-newsletter and facilitates special notices from staff or partners.
- Podcast Management – Produces and promotes the Conduit Street Podcast, the association’s weekly audio offering, and coordinates content along with policy team contributors (co-hosting the podcast is also an option, if the candidate is interested).
- Communications Analytics – Analyzes all communications channels, campaigns, and strategies to better inform communications planning and assist other staff in their use of social media and the blog.
- Media Relations – Maintains media contact lists and builds cooperative relationships with members of the media; proactively drafts press releases and press kits and distributes them to necessary media outlets online and through social media; serves as media contact and liaison to staff policy area experts, assigning media responses accordingly.
- County Communications Outreach – Builds and maintains relationships with county communications staff and public information officers, encouraging information-sharing, promoting communications best practices, and highlights membership news through MACo channels.
- Association Outreach – Represents MACo as an exhibitor or participant at other conferences, events, or networking opportunities to extend MACo’s branding and messaging; researches speaking opportunities and submits proposals (in coordination with Deputy Director, Legislative Director, and Policy Team) for policy analysts to showcase MACo’s advocacy work and expertise
- Conference and Event Support – Provides a broad range of support for conference and event functions, including managing social media and promotional communications before/during/after events, managing mobile app, guiding conference photographer and videographer, and other duties as assigned.
- Legislation and Policy Support – Stays updated on MACo’s legislative activities, working closely with appropriate staff to create and execute advocacy campaigns, social media, and blog content. Manages MACo’s grassroots advocacy communication tool. Assists with proofreading and ensuring delivery of MACo’s written legislative testimony.
More details – including full job posting and salary range
LinkedIn applications are accepted, but special consideration will be given to those who submit a cover letter and resume as follows:
- Apply via email to Deputy Director, Virginia White, at email@example.com by March 20, 2023
- Include “Communications Coordinator – NAME” in the email subject line
- Attach the following documents:
- Cover Letter detailing desired salary with justification and the reasons the applicant feels he/she is qualified for the Communications Coordinator position;
- Resume, which must contain educational background, work experience (particularly any relevant to this position), computer software familiarity, and links to professional social media account(s) managed by candidate; and
- Persuasive writing sample
Application Deadline: Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled or March 20, 2023 – whichever comes first!