April is National County Government Month, and the National Association of Counties (NACo) has the resources you need to promote the importance of county government.
National County Government Month (NCGM), held each April, is an annual celebration of county government. Since 1991, NACo has encouraged counties to actively promote the services and programs they offer.
NACo’s NCGM resources provide a host of tools and ideas to highlight innovative programs and raise public awareness and understanding about the multitude of services counties provide each and every day for communities across Maryland. Resources include a media kit, a social media package, a sample proclamation, ways to involve local schools, and more.
In a letter from NACo’s President the Hon. Larry Johnson, this year’s theme was announced:
Under my presidential theme, Counties THRIVE, we are focusing on six areas that fortify what we do and allow us to best serve our residents:
- Technology – equipping counties to expand broadband access to ensure all residents can learn, do business and communicate effectively
- Health – improving our overall health and well-being
- Readiness – preparing the county workforce to gain the skills they need
- Infrastructure – strengthening resilience and the backbone of our communities
- Vulnerable communities – advancing equity, strengthening the safety net and ensuring that our residents have the help they need
- Economic opportunities – creating conditions for all of us to compete in the 21st century economy.
During NCGM, we have an opportunity to focus on our work to help our communities THRIVE. Now is the time to spotlight your county’s role in achieving successes at the local level and to educate the public about how counties provide real support, identifying challenges on the ground and pursuing real solutions.
If you have questions about National County Government Month, please contact Brian Namey at BNamey@NACo.org or 202.942.4220.