The Maryland Municipal League (MML) Fall Conference will feature a course on the role of local government in economic prosperity as an offering for graduates of the Academy for Excellence in Local Governance.
The Academy for Excellence in Local Governance is a voluntary certificate program for county and municipal officials and features foundational and deep-dive courses centering on governance best practices. The Academy Graduate program is a professional development program for those who have completed the Academy Fellow certificate.
MML will offer an Academy Grad course for both county and municipal officials as part of their Fall Conference.
Title: The Role of Local Government in Driving Economic Prosperity
Description: This class examines the multiple roles a local government plays in enabling a community’s economic success, and why economic development is a shared responsibility of local government leaders.
Upon completion of this class, a participant will be able to:
- Understand the essential roles of a local government in shaping a community’s destiny and image through policies, investments and rhetoric (external and internal).
- Understand the difference between economic development and business development. Identify basic and non-basic industries and key drivers of future economic growth, including the link between innovation and entrepreneurship, and between large corporations and small businesses.
- Identify what makes their communities unique and attractive to people and businesses in the context of the regional competitive landscape, including their strengths and weaknesses as a locale.
- Assess demographic trends of the community and the alignment of people, place and institutions.
- Understand the roles of various economic development organizations and the basic tools of economic development.
- Align their everyday work with a broader vision of the local community’s future to ensure their department or agency is an intentional enabler of their community’s economic success.
Date/Time: Oct 10, 11 am – 3:30 pm
Location: Turf Valley Resort, Ellicott City, MD
Cost: $85 (includes lunch and this course only)
Please note: The class is for Graduates of the Academy only and is offered as a special registration option connected to MML’s Fall conference (you can attend just this course, separately from the conference).
Registration: Register online (only Academy Grads may register at the special $85 course-only rate)
Contact Tom Reynolds, Director of Education Resources, for more information at firstname.lastname@example.org