County Executive Danielle Hornberger and the Cecil County Council recently announced the winners of the 2020 Recycling Awards.
“‘I would like to offer my congratulations to all the winners, and thank the County’s residents, municipalities, and businesses for their continued support of our recycling program,’ stated County Executive Hornberger. ‘The environment, and Cecil County, are better as a result of everyone’s efforts’” (Cecil County).
- MPK Services, # 1 Residential Recycling Hauler: this award recognizes the private residential refuse hauler with the highest recycling rate, which is defined as the percentage of material that is recycled. MPK Services recycled over 819,000 pounds of material in 2020, equating to a 43% recycling rate.
- Waste Management, # 1 Large Commercial Recycling Hauler: this award recognizes the large private refuse hauler with the highest recycling rate for waste generated within Cecil County. Waste Management recycled over 2.8 million pounds of material in 2020, which equates to an 8% recycling rate.
- Waste Master Solutions, # 1 Small Commercial Recycling Hauler: this category recognizes the small hauler that has the highest recycling rate. Firms serving Cecil County businesses and institutions, and which haul less than 15,000 tons of trash and recyclables per year, are eligible for this award. Waste Master Solutions recycled over one million pounds of material in 2020, or 15% of the commercial waste it hauled.
- Elkton Recyclers, Inc., # 1 Maryland Recycling Act Metal Recycler: this category recognizes the firm recycling the greatest quantity of white goods (refrigerators and other appliances) as defined by the Maryland Recycling Act. Elkton Recyclers recycled over 13.7 million pounds of white goods in 2020.
- Elkton Recyclers, Inc., # 1 Non-Maryland Recycling Act Metal Recycler: this category recognizes the firm recycling the greatest quantity of miscellaneous scrap metals that are NOT covered by the Maryland Recycling Act. Elkton Recyclers, Inc. recycled over 8.2 million pounds of non-white goods scrap metal
- W.L. Gore & Associates, # 1 Recycling Business in Cecil County: this award goes to the Cecil County business (other than a metal recycler) which recycles the greatest quantity of materials. In 2020, Gore recycled over 4.5 million pounds of material, including metal, plastics, cardboard, paper, fabric, wood, and other materials.
- Town of Chesapeake City, # 1 Recycling Municipality in Cecil County: the town of Chesapeake City recycled over 819,000 pounds of materials in 2020, which equates to a 52.2% recycling rate.
- Riverwoods at North East, # 1 Recycling Apartment Building or Condominium: this recognizes the apartment building with the highest reported recycling rate in a given year. Riverwoods at North East recycled 17% of the waste generated by its residents in 2020.
- West Nottingham Academy, Recycling and Source Reduction Recognition Award: for their efforts to promote recycling and reuse by expanding its recycling program, implementing food waste diversion, working to eliminate single-use plastics on campus, and incorporating environmental literacy into its curriculum. West Nottingham Academy has been certified as a Sustainable School by the Maryland Association for Environmental & Outdoor Education.