House Speaker Adrienne Jones announced new leadership assignments, committee swaps, and appointments for newly-appointed members of the House of Delegates.
Delegate Mark Chang will serve as vice chair of the House Appropriations Committee, a post previously held by Delegate Michael Jackson, who today will be sworn in as a member of the Maryland Senate, filling the seat formerly held by Senate President Emeritus Mike Miller.
Delegate Ben Barnes will be the new chair of the House Appropriations Capital Budget Subcommittee, swapping roles with Chang, who will serve as vice chair. Delegate Brooke Lierman will replace Delegate Barnes as chair of the Joint Committee on Pensions.
Delegate Susie Proctor will replace Jackson as chair of the Appropriations Oversight Committee on Pensions. Delegate Tony Bridges will serve as vice chair.
Delegate Jheanelle Wilkins will serve as chair of the Ways and Means Election Law Subcommittee, replacing Delegate Alonzo Washington, who last year was named vice chair of the Ways and Means Committee.
According to Maryland Matters:
In addition, the following legislators have been appointed to standing committees:
- Del. Jazz M. Lewis (D-Prince George’s), to the Appropriations Committee from the Judiciary Committee
- Delegate-designee Marlon Amprey (D-Baltimore City), to the Environment & Transportation Committee
- Del. Dalya Attar (D-Baltimore City), to the Ways & Means Committee from Environment & Transportation
- Delegate Jesse T. Pippy (R-Frederick), to the Economic Matters Committee from Judiciary
- Delegate Brenda Thiam (R-Washington) to the Judiciary Committee
- Delegate-designee Reid J. Novotny (R-Howard) to the Appropriations Committee
Jones did not say what committee assignment Jackson’s eventual House successor would get.
Helpful 2021 Session Links:
Maryland General Assembly website | 2021 Dates of Interest | Issue Papers
Re-opening procedures: Senate | House of Delegates | House Committees
Follow MACo’s advocacy efforts on MACo’s Legislative Tracking Database
MACo’s 2021 Priorities | MACo’s 2020 Wrap-Up