The Calvert County Board of County Commissioners last week announced a new program to provide grants of up to $15,000 to the County’s restaurants and foodservice businesses.
The Restaurant Relief Fund Grant program is specifically targeted to food trucks, catering businesses, bed and breakfast establishments, and dine-in restaurants. Eligible businesses may use grant funds to cover operating expenses such as rent, payroll, and utilities, as well as costs associated with the purchase of personal protective equipment, ensuring sanitary physical spaces, and implementing online customer engagement and transactions.
As previously reported on Conduit Street, Governor Larry Hogan recently announced that the state will provide county governments with a total of $50 million to support direct aid to local restaurants and foodservice businesses. Counties must allocate all funds by December 31, 2020.
Calvert County will receive $646,295 from the state initiative. The County will accept grant applications through December 11, 2020.
According to a County press release:
Small restaurants with one to seven full-time equivalent employees may receive $10,000 and large restaurants with eight or more full-time equivalent employees may receive $15,000.
To be considered eligible for a grant, businesses must:
- Be in good standing with the state of Maryland;
- Be current on all county tax liabilities;
- Have no open zoning or permitting code enforcement issues;
- Have been operational and earning revenue in Calvert County prior to March 5, 2020 (the date Maryland’s COVID-19 State of Emergency went into effect);
- Have a physical business presence in Calvert County;
- Not be a franchise or national chain (unless able to provide proof of local ownership and operation); and
- Have at least one full-time equivalent W-2 employee.
Business owners interested in receiving a grant are encouraged to review eligibility criteria and application requirements online at www.CalvertCountyMd.gov/COVID19ReliefFund. Those interested in applying are encouraged to create a user name and password prior to the application period. Interested business owners may also send an email to email@example.com.