NACo hosts Committees to help guide the county voice on all issues before the Congress and Administration – and Maryland needs your voice at the table.
Interesting in getting engaged at the federal level? Let’s Make a Deal… you get to pick pick Door #1, Door #2, or Door #3!
Here’s Door #1 – Policy Steering Committee
Policy steering committees annually review and make recommendations on federal policy issues and legislation. They start the policy development process leading to the development of the American County Platform, which guides the county government message presented to the Administration, Congress, U.S. Courts and the American public.
Policy steering committee members are appointed by state associations and serve one-year terms.
Here are the important points to remember for participating on a policy steering committee:
- Fill out and submit a nomination form to serve on a NACo policy steering committee to your state association of counties. (www.naco.org/nomination).
- Mark on the nomination form your first and second choice for which policy steering committee you would like to serve.
- Members of NACo affiliate organizations who want to serve on policy steering committees should follow the same process.
- Submit the form to your state association one month before the NACo Annual Conference, which usually occurs in July.
- NACo works to accommodate a nominee’s first choice of policy steering committee assignments. Officials cannot transfer membership to another committee during their year of service, or serve on more than one policy steering committee during the year.
10 POLICY STEERING COMMITTEES:
- Agriculture and Rural Affairs
- Community, Economic and Workforce Development
- Environment, Energy and Land Use
- Finance, Pensions and Intergovernmental Affairs
- Human Services and Education
- Justice and Public Safety
- Public Lands
- Telecommunications and Technology
Or, try Door #2 – Join a NACo Standing Committee
Standing committees, such as the Membership Committee, Programs and Services Committee, Finance Committee and the Information Technology Committee, make recommendations on programs and projects for NACo to pursue that will help counties.
Other caucuses, task forces & ad hoc committees include
- Large Urban County Caucus (LUCC)
- Rural Action Caucus (RAC)
- Arts and Culture Commission
- Healthy Counties Advisory Board
- Immigration Reform Task Force
- International Economic Development Task Force
- Resilient Counties Advisory Board, and
- Veterans and Military Services Committee
Members of all these committees are appointed by the NACo president and serve one-year terms.
To join standing committees, ad hoc committees, caucuses or other committees, or to apply to serve as a chair or vice chair of a NACo policy steering committee or subcommittee, please fill out the online application form at:
Or, try Door #3 – Attend the NACo Annual Conference!
Not sure where to get started? Jump into the shallow end of the pool, by registering for the Annual conference this July.
Details are online here – and each year there’s a special session built for first-time attendees.