With the help of 1.1 million prescribing clinicians, Cigna has reached their goal one year early!
Reducing customer use by a quarter brought the usage back down to pre-epidemic levels.
Cigna’s strategies in reaching their goal:
- Increasing safeguards in the opioid prescribing process
- Enhancing support and counseling
- Providing easier access to treatments for substance use disorders
Cigna President said in the official press release:
We committed to this reduction for our customers because we recognized the severity of the epidemic and its impact on people from every walk of life, their families, employers and communities.We are proud that we achieved this goal early, but even more importantly, we did so by enhancing patient support and ensuring our customers have access to the right care at the right time. There is still much more work to do, and we are focused on continuing to push forward on these efforts every day.
– David M. Cordani, Cigna President and Chief Executive Officer
Specific tactics that helped Cigna reach their goal:
- Partnered with 2,000 medical groups and 65,000+ doctors
- Reported opioid use analysis to physicians
- Engaged with 85,000+ prescribers
- Created pharmacy safeguards
- Increased access to substance use disorder drugs and other reversal agents
- Opened a 24/7 support line for Veterans (considered to be an at-risk community)
- Provided communities with information used to identify solutions for treatment and prevention
Learn more about MACo’s Corporate Partner Program.