County Fellows of the Academy for Excellence in Local Governance are required to complete 8 Core Courses and 6 Elective Credits – MACo announces 4 Electives to be held at 2016 Winter Conference.
Core Courses to be offered: Open Meetings, County Financial Management & Ethics
Academy Fellows with questions about their transcripts should contact registrar Aisha Washington at firstname.lastname@example.org or (301) 314-2641.
Breaking Cycles and Building Bonds…from Behind Bars
Parental incarceration puts families in a tumultuous situation. These families are at high risk for experiencing domestic, economic, educational, and behavioral instability. But being behind bars doesn’t have to sever family bonds or perpetuate the criminal justice cycle. By tapping into community-based resources and an inmate’s love for their child, local jails teach skills to help parents and their kids cope with incarceration and life outside the walls. In this session, learn more about innovative and award-winning programs that strive to break the cycle, keep families united, and ultimately create stability within the household and community.
- Jane Sachs, Director of Correctional Training, Department of Public Safety and Correctional Services, Maryland Police and Correctional Training Commissions
- Sharon Tyler, Program Manager, Baltimore County Department of Corrections
- Florence Kennedy Stack, Founder & Director, Turning Pages, Inc.
Moderator: The Honorable Stephen A. Wantz, Commissioner, Carroll County
Date/Time: Wednesday, December 7, 2016; 3:00 pm – 4:00 pm
Winter Is Coming: Fortify Your Shelters for Frosty Weather
While resources for sheltering have been stretched thin in recent years, through strengthening partnerships and improving data sharing, local jurisdictions are seeking to provide safety and warmth to the homeless throughout the year, and especially during winter. Homeless Management Information Systems, point-in-time counts, and shelter data can contribute to the work of public and nonprofit partners providing shelter to the homeless in cold-weather. In this session, learn how year-round data collection and assessments can inform and strengthen partnerships to provide sheltering for a population in need, when they need it the most.
- Heather Sheridan, Director of Homeless Services, MD DHR
- Christine C. Kay, Director of Citizen Services, Carroll County
- Jessica Nusbaum, Community Preparedness Coordinator, MEMA
- Jodie Ostoich, Executive Director, Reach of Washington County
Moderator: The Honorable Mary Washington, Maryland House of Delegates
Date/Time: Thursday, December 8, 2016; 2:00 pm – 3:00 pm
Healthy Employees, Healthy Counties
Encouraging our public servants to maintain healthy lifestyles can not only save counties in health care costs, but also improve morale and increase productivity. Programs offered by local governments, health care and insurance providers encourage government employees to take advantage of wellness programs in creative ways. Learn about how to get a healthier, fitter, happier workforce today.
- Christina Stasiuk, Senior Medical Director, Cigna
- David Johnson, Vice President, Segal Consulting
- Beverly Churchill, Director, Human Resources, Queen Anne’s County
Moderator: The Honorable Sheree Sample-Hughes, Maryland House of Delegates
Date/Time: Thursday, December 8, 2016; 3:30 pm – 4:30 pm
Session 2017: Path to Success
MACo’s success in Annapolis depends on contact at every level. Roll up your sleeves at this strategic session, as MACo’s policy leadership and staff guide a practical conversation on the road ahead for each of MACo’s top issues. Who are the key players, how do individual elected officials get involved, and what messages are essential? At stake are the heart-and-soul issues facing each county’s priorities, autonomy, and bottom line. Join this session to arm yourself and your county peers for the battles ahead.
- The Honorable Jan Gardner, County Executive, Frederick County
- The Honorable Chris Trumbauer, Council Member, Anne Arundel County
- The Honorable John Barr, Commissioner, Washington County
- The Honorable William Pickrum, Commissioner, Kent County
Moderator: The Honorable Jerry Walker, Council Member, Anne Arundel County
Date/Time: Friday, December 9, 2016; 11:00 am – 12:30 pm
Learn more about MACo’s Winter Conference: