MACo now officially endorses the NACo Prescription Discount Card Program, which is one of the largest discount programs in the country serving county residents.
Since the NACo program began seven years ago, it has saved county residents nationwide more than $470 million. Nearly 38 million prescriptions have been filled through the program.
Currently, 18 of Maryland’s counties participate in the NACo program.
MACo considered many factors before making the endorsement. Those factors include the program’s past successful track record, staff and marketing support, history of proven savings, size of the participating pharmacy network, legal compliance and customer service.
The new endorsement agreement includes funding for the association of $.40 for each prescription when the NACo card gives the best price and does not affect the savings percentage to residents. MACo will partner with NACo and the program administrator, CVS Caremark, to grow the program and get cards into the hands of more county residents so they can benefit in these tough times.
Highlights and Features of the NACo Prescription Discount Card Program include:
- It’s Free—No cost to the county, no cost to taxpayers.
- Valuable Discounts—Average savings program-wide of 24% and savings up to 75% on an individual prescription.
- Generates Goodwill—County officials are able to generate some positive media publicity and NACo will assist you by generating and placing press releases.
- Easy Access—Residents can obtain a printed card or may print one conveniently from the web at http://www.nacorx.org.
- Marketing Support—Card and stands shipped to pharmacies and multiple county locations, unlimited free materials, press and PSA assistance. NACo will work with you to design a campaign based on your needs.
- Marketing Reimbursement Fee—New in 2012! The NACo program offers an option for counties to receive a $1 per prescription marketing reimbursement fee when the card gives the best price. Counties that do not want to receive the reimbursement can continue with the existing program and expect a 2 to 2.5% increase in savings to residents.
For more information on implementing this great program or enhancing your current efforts, please go to NACo’s website at www.naco.org, Select “Solutions Center” from the top of the screen and click on the “NACo Prescription Discount Card Program” icon or any link to the program on the page. NACo membership staff can also be reached toll-free at 1-888-407-NACo (6226) and ask for “membership.”