The MarylandReporter is carrying a story detailing a new contract, being voted upon by the State’s principal labor union AFSCME. From the report:
The proposed contract includes:
* A $750 bonus in fiscal year 2012, beginning July 1.
* Five paid furlough days – reclassified as paid administrative leave – for the years represented in the contract.
* Depending on revenues, a 2% COLA in 2013.
* Depending on revenues, a 3% COLA in 2014.
* If there are enough increased revenues, reinstating of step salary increases starting April 1, 2014.
* Guaranteeing raises for employees working at jobs above their current pay grades.
* Holding down increases in insurance costs for fiscal year 2012.
According to the Governor’s spokesman on the issue, Shaun Adamec, “[T]he provisions of the new contract should cost about $39 million in fiscal year 2012. However, the state is anticipating a savings of $40 million in the next fiscal year from employees who have taken buyouts, freeing up funds for the contract.”