As reported in the Washington Post, additional disparity grant funding will enable Prince George’s County Executive Jack B. Johnson to submit a revised budget to the county council that eliminates furloughs in FY 2011.
Last month, Johnson’s proposed budget for fiscal 2011 included eight days of furloughs for government employees, which, if approved, would have marked the third straight year of furloughs in Prince George’s — a policy that has spawned protests and legal battles.
But the county will receive additional state funds in this year’s state budget, including $18 million from the state in “disparity grants,” which are designed to help jurisdictions with relatively low per capita income. The new money is the result of a change made in the way the grants are calculated by the state.
“When I announced my proposed budget in March, I said I hoped this would not be our final budget,” Johnson said in a statement Wednesday. “Due to the outstanding work of our delegation in Annapolis and my legislative team, I am proud to announce that I will be submitting a revised FY 2011 budget to the County Council that proposes no employee furloughs for Fiscal Year 2011. This will ease the burden on county employees during these difficult economic times.”