The village of Texas, once located in Baltimore County, was settled in the mid-19th century by Irish and other immigrants who worked in the local limestone and marble quarries.
In 1847, thousands of Irish immigrants arrived in Baltimore City looking to escape the Great Hunger, also known as the Potato Famine. At the same time, the completion of the Baltimore and Susquehanna railroad provided a more efficient means of transporting high quality limestone and marble from quarries located just outside the city. As a result, there was an increase in demand for skilled and unskilled laborers. The settlement of Texas was an established enclave by 1860.
The limestone quarried by the Irish was in the construction of some well-known buildings such as the Washington Monuments in Washington D.C. and Baltimore City, the State House in Annapolis, the porticoes of the Senate and House wings of the Capitol in Washington D.C., and St. Patrick’s Church in New York City.
If you are looking to visit Texas, Maryland, the area is now a part of present-day Cockeysville.