Anne Arundel County announces new actions on social gatherings, youth athletics, and indoor dining capacity.
As Maryland for the ninth consecutive day reported at least 1,000 new infections — and a statewide positivity rate above 5 percent for the first time since June — Anne Arundel County Executive Stuart Pittman today announced a series of actions to to slow the spread of COVID-19.
“Waiting is not an option,” said County Executive Pittman .”Like our neighboring jurisdictions, we are acting now to slow the spread that will inevitably lead to a hospitalization surge at a time when our hospitals are operating near capacity. This is a more dangerous moment than we faced in the spring, so there is no question that we must take action.”
Anne Arundel County will impose new social gathering limits of 10 people indoors and 25 people outdoors starting on Friday, and suspend youth athletics beginning on Monday. Maximum capacity for indoor dining operations in bars and restaurants will also be reduced from 50 percent to 25 percent beginning on Friday, November 20.
According to a County press release:
“We’re hitting a new case rate high each day,” said County Health Officer Dr. Nilesh Kalyanaraman. “We know what we need to do to control this surge. In addition to today’s actions, each of us must commit to wearing a mask, watching our distance, washing our hands and limiting activity. It will take sacrifice, but we crushed the curve once and we can do it again.”
Effective Friday, November 13 at 5:00 p.m.
Maximum number of people permitted at a social gathering are 10 indoors and 25 outdoors. (A social gathering is any informal gathering of people that is not explicitly covered in other current executive orders.)
Effective Monday, November 16 at 8:00 a.m.
Youth athletics are suspended for all county fields and facilities.
Effective Friday, November 20 at 5:00 p.m.
Maximum capacity for indoor dining operations in restaurants, bars and any food establishment will also be reduced from 50 percent to 25 percent.
As previously reported on Conduit Street, Montgomery County this week limited gatherings to 25 people or fewer and reduced capacity for restaurants and certain businesses from 50 percent to 25 percent.
These actions are in addition to a statewide order issued this week by Governor Larry Hogan, which reduces indoor dining capacity from 75 percent to 50 percent. State health officials also issued a public health advisory “strongly discouraging” indoor gatherings of 25 people or more.
Both the City of Annapolis and Anne Arundel County are reviewing their enforcement protocols and assessing options for enhancements. County Executive Pittman will also continue to monitor the COVID-19 metrics and consult with Dr. Kalyanaraman to determine when and if additional interventions are needed to protect the health and safety of County residents.
The County Executive will sign an executive order implementing the new restrictions later today. The executive order and an updated version of the County’s Frequently Asked Questions document will be available shortly at on the Anne Arundel County website.
Stay tuned to Conduit Street for more information.