MACo is currently seeking a Policy Associate to join our team!
The Maryland Association of Counties (MACo) is the voice of Maryland’s 23 counties and Baltimore City, articulating the membership’s needs and interests to the Maryland General Assembly.
MACo provides a broad range of educational, partnership-building, and cost-saving services to all 24 Maryland jurisdictions. Policy efforts play a fundamental role in fulfilling MACo’s mission.
The Policy Associate participates as an integral team member in the MACo legislative process by conducting legislative advocacy on behalf of MACo within a defined range of policy issues. Researches, analyzes, tracks, and presents on bills affecting county government and advocates MACo’s position as directed by the Legislative Committee. Serves as a research-driven analyst for the association on issues relating to county government in Maryland. Regularly prepares articles for MACo’s Conduit Street blog and engages social media to keep membership informed. Supports conference session development in specific policy issue areas. Collaborates with and supports assigned professional affiliate organizations.
Full listing of responsibilities is available at http://www.mdcounties.org/2019PolicyAssociate
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong research and analysis proficiency
- Ability to prioritize workflow and multi-task effectively
- Confidence in taking initiative and working independently
- Refined communication, public speaking, and interpersonal skills; must be able to interact with elected officials, coworkers, supervisors, general public, etc. sufficiently to exchange or convey information and receive work direction
- Computer proficiency
- Understanding of social media channels (particularly Twitter)
- Team player with an “all hands-on deck” mentality
- Familiarity with Maryland state and local government
- Familiarity with the Maryland legislative and policy process strongly preferred
- Law or Master’s degree in relevant policy areas desired
Applicants familiar with Maryland General Assembly legislative processes, public policy, or Maryland county governments will be given special consideration.
How to Apply:
Previous applicants need not apply. New applicants may send ALL of the following materials to firstname.lastname@example.org by 4:30 pm on May 31, 2019 – include “Policy Associate – NAME” in the subject line:
- Cover Letter detailing present salary, desired salary with justification, and the reasons the applicant feels he/she is qualified for the Policy Associate position;
- Resume, which must contain educational background and work experience;
- Persuasive writing sample; and
- Three references – references will not be contacted without prior approval from the applicant.
Application Deadline: May 31, 2019