The Maryland Association of Counties created the video “Welcome to County Office” to provide newly elected officials advice from veteran officials.
Veteran elected officials that participated in the video:
- Barry Glassman, Harford County Executive, MACo President
- Craig Rice, Montgomery County Council Member
- John Barr, Former Washington County Commissioner, MACo Past President
- Rikki Spector, Former Baltimore City Council Member, MACo Past President
- Sheree Sample Hughes, Maryland State Delegate, Former Wicomico County Council Member
- Steve Arentz, Maryland State Delegate, Former Queen Anne’s Commissioner
- Todd Turner, Prince George’s County Council Member
- Laura Price, Talbot County Council Member, MACo Secretary
Questions asked in the video:
- What’s the best advice you can offer a newly elected local official?
- What was your biggest surprise during your first year as a county elected official?
- What has been your most rewarding experience as an elected official?
- What would you describe as your biggest challenge as a local elected official?
- How do you balance the demands of your full-time employment and family with the responsibilities of your position as an elected official?
- What’s the biggest misconception the average citizen has about local elected officials?
- What advice can you offer newly elected officials for working with the media?
- Please explain the importance of county professional staff in the development and implementation of public policy decisions?
- What was one of your successful initiatives or projects and how did you gain support from your colleagues for its approval?
- Describe the opportunities for involvement and benefits of being an active member of MACo?
Hear these veterans of county government offer their best advice: www.mdcounties.org/WelcometoCountyOffice2019