The National Association of Counties (NACo) priorities for 2018 include infrastructure, substance abuse treatment, and a better definition of waters of the US.
In addition to preserving local decision making, protecting counties from unfunded mandates and local preemption and strengthening the federal-state-local partnership, NACo will focus on the following:
- PROMOTE COUNTY INFRASTRUCTURE PRIORITIES
- SUPPORT THE PAYMENT IN LIEU OF TAXES (PILT) AND SECURE RURAL SCHOOLS (SRS) PROGRAMS
- SUPPORT POLICIES TO PROMOTE MENTAL HEALTH, SUBSTANCE ABUSE TREATMENT AND JUSTICE REFORM
- PROTECT THE FEDERAL-STATE-LOCAL PARTNERSHIP FOR MEDICAID
- WORK TOWARDS A MORE EFFECTIVE DEFINITION OF WATERS OF THE U.S.
- SUPPORT COUNTY AUTHORITY TO COLLECT EXISTING SALES TAX
- SUPPORT PROGRAMS THAT ASSIST COUNTIES TO PREVENT AND REDUCE POVERTY
- SUPPORT A COMPREHENSIVE LONG-TERM FARM BILL REAUTHORIZATION
For more information see the full description of NACo’s priorities.