The Maryland Historical Trust celebrated the state’s best efforts in historic preservation during the 41st Maryland Preservation Awards this week.
The following people and programs were recognized with 2016 awards, from the press release:
Heart of the Civil War Heritage Area Website (Carroll, Washington and Frederick Counties)
The Heart of the Civil War Heritage Area’s recently redesigned website encourages visitors and residents to engage with historic places and learn more about Maryland’s unique Civil War heritage. (Excellence in Media and Publications)
2015 Weather It Together Program (Annapolis)
The City of Annapolis’s multi-agency effort engages businesses, residents, public officials and other stakeholders to help plan for sea level rise and tidal flooding on historic properties in the downtown Historic District. (Excellence in Community Engagement)
Washington Monument Restoration (Baltimore City)
The $6.8 million restoration of the Washington Monument was supported by exceptional educational programming via social media and a series of short videos. (Excellence in Programming and Exhibits)
Michael Travis and Renee Bernier for The Exchange (Charles County)
The owners have meticulously restored the exterior of this 18th century home while retaining intact original materials and significant historic alterations. (Outstanding Stewardship of an Easement Property)
U.S. Naval Academy Administration Building/Larson Hall (Annapolis)The c. 1907 Administration Building, designed by architect Ernest Flagg as a part of the National Historic Landmark campus, was recently restored and modernized. (Outstanding Stewardship by a Government Agency)
The Tire Shop (Baltimore City)
A former light industrial building in Remington, the Tire Shop is now a mixed-use development that includes Single Carrot Theatre and Parts and Labor, a restaurant and butcher shop. (Project Excellence: Community Impact)
Falling Green (Montgomery County)
Originally built in 1764, Falling Green was rehabilitated by the Olney Boys and Girls Community Sports Association and adapted for office and meeting space while respecting the character and integrity of the historic home. (Excellence in Institutional Rehabilitation)
Centre Theatre (Baltimore City)
Vacant for 25 years, the historic Centre Theatre is now the Station North Arts & Entertainment District’s most spectacular building and a hub for artists, arts education, and young entrepreneurs who are shaping the next Baltimore. (Excellence in Commercial Rehabilitation)
Chesapeake Culinary Center (Caroline County)
The former Caroline High School now serves as the Culinary Center’s hospitality training headquarters, as well as a small bottling facility and a community incubator kitchen, which provides food entrepreneurs with the resources necessary for success and growth. (Project Excellence: Partnerships)
Eastern Shore Land Conservancy In addition to protecting land with archeological sites and cultural landscapes, this conservation organization has expanded its programs to include planning in historic towns and recently rehabilitated a historic industrial building as its headquarters. (Outstanding Organizational Leadership)
Friends of Patterson Park (Baltimore City)
Projects such as the historic Pagoda Observatory and restoration of the Hampstead Hill cannons, as well as educational programming, have been part of the Friends’ long legacy of preservation in a rapidly changing neighborhood. (Outstanding Organizational Leadership).
For more information, see the Maryland Historical Trust.